Sunday, June 26, 2011

Seeking Balance

"Always keep in mind that the goal of practice is to make things easier". --Edmund Sprunger.


We are currently on day 49 in our 100 Days of Practice Challenge! Almost half way there! Yeeeaaayy! :)

I actually thought that following up on the piano practice would be a lot easier during the Summer, but some days have been more challenging than others. We go out swimming, have playdates with friends, go to parties, mom has to catch up with work, we all have to catch up with chores at home, and some days I have to admit we just barely make it practicing piano BUT we STILL manage doing it.

Big A is still motivated and he loves to play piano without my supervision, in other words, play freely without a routine. That's OK with me, but at some point in the day we do our chart practice so we can measure progress and I can oversee how is he playing and make sure he has a good posture etc.

Our teacher is thrilled with our progress and decided last week to even give us more homework, so our daily practice has become a bit longer now, and to my surprise I was the only one who sort of complained to the teacher :), big A was happy about it and he even requested more 'homework'.

On a different note today we finished our Hundreds Club chart for the French Children piece! We completed that chart just as we did with Cuckoo, we practiced 5 times that piece for 20 days and voila! we are done with 100 times! This is our second chart!

It feels nice and gives both of us a nice sense of accomplishment, and it helps big A mastering each new piece a lot faster. Our next move after this is probably Lightly Row with both hands as we are currently putting the two hands together with the patterns and the melody.

What are you doing currently with your child?, how is your daily practice going?

In my next post, I will review a couple of chapters of the book I am reading: Helping Parents Practice by Edmund Sprunger. I have been doing some more reading and I have some opinions about what the author writes. I have been slowly reading this book but I will get there :).

Thanks for reading and happy practicing!