Thursday, June 2, 2011

Getting Creative

Big A has been getting creative lately whenever we practice at home. He has found ways to keep himself interested and motivated.
Yesterday he was trying to play the "Imperial March from Star Wars, ( he is a big fan of the movies). At some point he felt a bit frustrated and he decided to do something else. Then, one day he started to play a 'new piece', it actually sounded very good, and he was taking his time practicing it and correcting himself. I was very impressed in the beginning, he seemed to know what was he doing. When I told him "That sounds beautiful!, where did you learn that song?", he told me "It is Cuckoo, but played on backwards!". Wow! I never imagined that a piece could even be played 'backwards'!
But kids are that way, they find a thousand different possibilities to play with the same toy, or with the same game. I imagine big A started to feel a bit bored to be repeating every practice the same pieces he has memorized, even though there is still room for improvement.

So since then I decided to give him some time (like a free choice) to do what he wants to do at some point after we are done with our practice or before, so he can choose to play whatever he wants without my intervention, unless he asks for it :).

Today, at the end of our practice he explored the Suzuki book and tried to play a few songs that are more advanced, he tried, and sometimes he got a line or two right. But what I appreciate about this the most, is the brand new enthusiasm and motivation he is showing.
Then after his bath, he requested to play a few flash card games from the Puppy Packet, he was truly immerse in the game, but I had to end it as he still has to go to school tomorrow.

Little A is my youngest daughter, she is almost 17 months old. I do not mention her that much in this blog because she is not taking Suzuki lessons currently, however she is always present when we listen to the CD, or when big A practices at home. My plan is to have her start Suzuki lessons when she turns 3 years old. So far, she can hum some of the Suzuki songs from the CD, which I find very interesting and cute. She would love to take part of the fun when big A is playing the piano, she always wants to go to the piano and play.

So the other day when big A was still in school, I sat little A on the piano bench and let her do whatever she wanted. "Go ahead", I said "play as much as you want". She was so excited that in the beginning she could not do anything but smile, then she took off. She played the keys with both hands open, then she played with one hand at a time, then she tried to use one or two fingers to play. It was very interesting and I felt very happy to see she is already loving the instrument :).

Now with Summer break getting so close, we will have more time to practice piano and play games (I hope). Is hard to stay inside the house sometimes when we finally are getting nice and warm weather to play outdoors.

This is it for now. Thanks for reading and please feel free to share your games and tricks to keep at-home practice fun!

Happy Practicing!